Friday, September 11, 2009

The time had come...

for me to go on my first run. I realized yesterday that it was high time to admit that I am here for the duration and I need to get back into the habit of doings things that are beneficial to my life. Let me say, running here is not easy. Primarily because it just doesn't seem to be a cultural trend; I don't fit in when I run. I've rarely seen joggers in the city and only occasionally out in the periphery. This wasn't going to deter me though; I was ready.

The first issue is that I had no idea where to go. I've only really explored within the city walls, and even then only along well-traveled, often populated routes. So I just started by turning left out of my apartment, which I've never done before. I ended up along a semi-big road with tons of Vespas and cars but few pedestrians. I ran along this road for a while and was blatantly stared at by the Italians. To be perfectly honest, it might have been more the struggling girl with the whippingly long pony tail and heavy breathing they were looking at and less the fact that I was out jogging. Anyway, it was a treat to get to see an unknown part of the city. I found a little park I'd like to visit one day for a picnic and some cute fruit markets.

My run didn't last all that long; twenty-five minutes max. The problem is that where there was muscle from my running this summer, there is now pasta and gelato. I'm not particularly worried. As long as I keep working out a little, I'll feel better about my food consumption.

Today is a girl in my program's birthday, so there is a cute party for her at her group's apartment. It will be nice to have an organized fun event with the whole group. Tomorrow it's another Saturday excursion to Verona, so I'll update after that. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment