Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cenafesta

I apologize for the lengthy pause in my blog updates. Sometimes it becomes a challenge juggling life here and back home and then finding time to write about it.

The beginning of this week consisted of a lot of down time. I was so exhausted from that Verona/Venice trip that I needed some serious recovery time. Also, my coinquillini (roommates) all developed minor colds, so everyone wanted to be sure to get better as quickly as possible.

By Thursday, people had gotten their health energy back up, so we decided to host a little "cenafesta" (dinner party... NB: this is not an actual word, but rather one we coined on our own). We invited some of the kids from program as well as a few Italians we've met along the way. Those Italians brought their Italian friends and it ended up being a pretty big gathering.

The dinner began in typical Italian fashion - around 9:30. Dad, you would have just loved it. I personally was starving by the time the food got on the table; I still haven't adjusted to Italian meal times. My roommate Leah cooked the most fabulous Sicilian pasta and it was gone in half a second. I had invited Walter and he arrived a little late because he had been studying for exams. When he showed up, he was sweaty and out of breath from walking so briskly. I asked him if he'd like something to drink and his response (translated, of course) was "Yes, thank you. I'd like something cool and refreshing. I'm so thirsty!" Then I said, "Sure, Walter, how about a glass of water?" And he, "Bohhh, no. A glass of white wine, please." So I poured him his nice, thirst-quenching glass of wine and he wiped the sweat from his brow.

Last night I attended my very first Italian discoteca and had an absolute blast. First of all, when we arrived the line to get in was epically long. There was some general grumbles of irritation that our start had been so late and worries that we weren't going to be able to get it. However, my friend Hannah somehow knew the name of someone semi-famous (it's still just a little unclear how she knew this, but she had a piece of paper that said to say "Siamo gli amici di Dinamo Alessia") who was at the discoteca, so she and I went up to the bouncer and said that we were American students who were friends of Dinamo Alessia. And then we got let in the discoteca... for free. It ruled.

It actually got very hot and crowded at the discoteca so I only stayed for about an hour. Then I came home and crashed into bed. Since I didn't stay up too too late, I got up early-ish and am now sitting in my living room enjoying the peacefulness before my roommates awake. Today's cleaning day, so I think I better go get on my assigned room. Un abbracio!

PS - Dear BWRFC, Good luck today against Yale!

No comments:

Post a Comment