A big hello from your recently absent blogger!
I've been totally consumed by school and travels and this is the first moment I've had to sit down and breathe.
Most exciting of my news to share are my travels around Italy this weekend. I took a day trip to Modena, just a 30 minute train ride, on Friday with my friend Lucy. Modena is a cute little town most famous for it's balsamic vinegar. We walked around the town for quite a bit and saw several museums. The coolest exhibit we saw was a room filled with illuminated manuscripts from the Renaissance. The detailed, intricate craftsmanship on every page is just stunning. The strangest exhibit we saw was the "Single Most Important Collection of Troubadour Poetry." I kid you not, this was the title of the exhibit. Who knew I would be so lucky as to see such a collection?
I got back to Bologna Friday night and rested up because at the crack of dawn on Saturday I met Lucy at the train station and we took the three hour ride north to Milan. We were meeting her best friend from Brown later that afternoon, so when we got in, we just strolled around the city. We ate an epic lunch of spaghetti alla carbonara and risotto alla milenese right on the main piazza so we could people watch.
By far the coolest thing about Milan is how modern it feels compared to the rest of Italy. It has a Metro system nearly identical to Boston's and it's much larger than Bologna or Florence. There is also a palpable air of sophistication. Everyone in this city is put together and just dressed so well. It's startling how lovely every single person looks.
While in Milan, we climbed the Duomo and saw a phenomenal view of the city; we saw the ancient castle of Milan and meanered through its gardens; we saw the church where Da Vinci's "The Last Supper" is painted; and we walked down the most famous high-end shopping street. Also, somewhat randomly, there was an Edward Hopper exhibit showing at one of the museums, so I popped in for a moment just to get a touch of nostalgia for the Cape.
I got in late tonight and am so exhausted I can barely move. This weekend was a whirlwind and more fabulous than I could have imagined!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment